Have you ever wondered what it’s like to work on a real railroad and be part of a train crew?
This is your chance to take a hands-on class, which leads to becoming an operating crew member on the Whitewater Valley Railroad. The classes are held on six successive Saturdays beginning on Saturday, February 22, 2020, and ending on Saturday, March 28, 2020, with a graduation ceremony and an excursion to Metamora. Those who successfully complete the class will receive a certificate of completion and be promoted to student brakemen. The class is a combination of classroom instruction and hands-on outdoor activities with full-size railroad equipment.
Topics covered in the classroom portion include:
- history of the Whitewater Valley Railroad
- railroad safety
- train operations including rules, signaling, orders, and dispatching
- air brakes and the technology behind fail-safe operations
- steam locomotive basics
- diesel locomotive basics
- duties and responsibilities of train crew members
- volunteer opportunities at the Whitewater Valley Railroad
The outdoor activities will include:
- railroad safety
- hand signals and radio communications
- operation of switches
- coupling and uncoupling
- connecting air hoses
- journal box inspections and maintenance
- assembling a train and preparing it for departure
- operating one of the railroad’s historic diesel locomotives
The classes will take place at the railroad’s South Connersville Shop Complex located at 300 South Eastern Avenue in Connersville. They will start at 9:01 am each Saturday and be over with no later than 4:00 pm. There is a charge of $20 per student to cover the cost of training materials and a suggested donation of $5 for the meal that will be served during the lunch break each day. Participants in the outdoor activities must be 18 or over and sign a liability release. Dress for the weather - the outdoor activities will take place rain or shine.
Railroad membership is required for all train crew members. Dues are $30 annually or $200 lifetime.
To register for the class or for more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org,call us at (765) 825-2054, or fill out the registration form below.